Kinesio Taping® is a specialized tape that holds soft tissue layers open for 3-5 days. Healthy fluid exchange can then bathe an injury and keep muscles from spasming until the body forgets the spasm pattern. It’s a true miracle. Depending on how the tape is cut and applied, it can also stimulate an underactive muscle to perform better or drain unwanted edema from the body. Untrained persons should not use taping. There are entirely too many variables to consider before applying tape that affects the neurological system on a profound level. Before you choose to tape yourself, ask yourself: do I know where to place the anchor and tail, the direction of stretch, tension percentage, origin/insertion of the muscle? No? Then don’t tape it – you could create more pain or congest fluids. Kinesio Taping® is never a one size fits all thing. A taping prescribed for you might be harmful to another person, even if the symptoms seem the same. A Youtube video cannot evaluate your soft tissue and prescribe the progressive taping that you may need to solve your problem.
Kinesio Tape® is the original elastic adhesive tape developed by Dr. Kenzo Kase in 1979. It is safe for elite athletes, weekend warriors, prenatal, geriatric, and pediatric patients. Kinesio Tape alleviates discomfort and facilitates lymphatic drainage by microscopically lifting the skin. It decreases inflammation and reduces pressure on target tissues. Certified practitioners will apply proper tension on the tape to relax or stimulate muscles as needed to treat your specific problems.
Kinesio Tape® provides extended soft tissue manipulation to prolong the benefits of your massage therapy treatments.
Before being taped:
- Make sure the skin surface is free of oil, moisture, and hair. You may remove hair with a razor or clippers.
- Make sure that if you use a razor to remove hair, you wait a full 24 hours before any Kinesio Tape® is applied, or you risk causing significant skin irritation.
- Make sure that if you currently have Kinesio Tape® on, that you remove it and wait a full 24 hours before any new Kinesio Tape® is applied, or you risk causing significant skin irritation.
After being taped:
- Kinesio Tape® is water-resistant and worn for 3-5 days before the elastic properties diminish. You may wear the tape longer if you desire.
- You should remove the tape immediately if there is any pain or irritation and let us know.
- You should remove the tape by saturating it with oil for up to a minute and then rolling the tape off as you push the skin away from the tape.
- After the initial application, the adhesive on the tape takes approximately 20 minutes to set completely. It would be best if you did not get it wet before then.
Kinesio Tape® mimics the longitudinal stretch and thickness of the human epidermis. This fact limits the body’s perception of the tape after about 10 minutes. It will not restrict joint movement and is a breathable tape. It is made of a ureter polymer wrapped by 100% cotton fibers with natural plant-based dyes. The adhesive is hypoallergenic, latex-free, 100% acrylic, and heat-activated. We can provide you with a sample to wear and test for allergic reactions. Prenatal clients must have an OBGYN release.
Kinesio Tape® Application at MassageFIX $40