Halotherapy is a treatment based on the inhalation of micro salt particles to clean airways. It developed as an above-ground alternative for something called speleotherapy (inhaling dry micro salt particles in underground salt caves). Local physicians in the late 1800s noticed the lack of respiratory problems with Polish salt miners.
Salt purity is a big issue. Although salt rich in minerals (Himalayan salt) is well-tolerated, there is no evidence that inhaling minerals will benefit your health. Mineral benefits are best gotten through food (vitamins) or Epsom salt baths (magnesium). The best salt to inhale is 99% pure sodium chloride derived from the most hardened rock salt. This type of salt aerosolizes the best and can be trusted to be free of trace metals and other contaminants that could damage delicate lung tissue and pollute the skin. However, the most critical factors responsible for salt’s beneficial effects are inhaling salt at the right size and dryness.
Salt is very sensitive to humidity. If the salt room is more than 40% humidity, the salt will fall, not float. If the micro salt particles are not floating in the air, you cannot inhale them, and they will not be ionically attracted to your skin. Many people believe that the pretty salt walls and sandy salt floors emit beneficial salt particles. Unfortunately, this beautiful ambiance is more aesthetically pleasing than it is valuable. Some people also believe that being in the presence of large salt block walls or salt lamps will emit good-for-you-negative ions, but the truth is that you’d have to heat the salt to around 1500 degrees Fahrenheit for that to happen.
Effective Halotherapy takes a micro salt generator to break the salt down small enough to float and spin it fast enough to be negatively charged. Smaller, heated cabins with high-tech halogenerators provide a much more controlled and efficient environment than large, cool salt caves. Heating the cabin between 86-122 degrees Fahrenheit ensures proper humidity and opens lung tissue and skin pores to absorb the antibacterial micro salt deeply. Salt therapy has been used for many types of conditions:
- Covid 19
- Lung mucous
- Inflammation in lungs
- Ear infections
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Common cold
- Sleep Apnea
At MassageFIX, we are combining the latest high-tech halogenerator from KLAFS of Germany with our Far Infrared Saunato provide you with an unprecedented health option for your lungs and skin. Many sources recommend that you have at least a 45 min session every 48 hours until symptoms improve, although it is safe to do every day if you wish. We charge 75¢ per minute: 45 min = $33.75 + tax.
You can book your session online at https://square.site/book/420CK1EDZ6HJN/massagefix-llc-bowling-green-ky.
Know Before You Arrive:
- Halotherapy occurs in our Far Infrared Sauna. Temperatures must remain between 90-120 degrees. Higher temperatures will damage our machine, and lower temperatures will affect proper humidity levels.
- It is best to expose as much skin as possible. Synthetic fibers block far infrared light waves. All-cotton fibers are best.
- The salt will corrode and damage metal and electronics. So, please put your cell phone in a plastic zip-lock bag if needed.
- We provide water, sweat towels, and robes (if transitioning to a massage). Please bring sandals for convenience.
- All sauna and halotherapy sessions must happen before massage sessions due to lowered blood pressure after a massage.
- You must sign an informed consent.
- You will not be allowed to use the sauna if you have: consumed alcohol, have cardiovascular issues, recent heart attack (last 12 months), kidney disease, pregnancy, low blood pressure, dehydration, dizziness, or nausea.
- Do not use any chemicals or lotions on your skin before your sauna session. These items may block pores and affect perspiration.
- Our sauna has an ionizer that helps clean the unit and is disinfected after every use with EPA N List disinfectants. All linens are washed according to CDC standards.
- PDF – KLAFS My Sauna & Spa, Microsalt Background Information, published by KLAFS https://www.klafs.com/microsalt.html
- Salt is in the air: Halotherapy as a potential way to boost immunity and lung health, By Dr. James DiNicolantonio https://infraredsauna.com/blog/halotherapy-boost-immunity-and-lung-health/#
- MythInformation – Himalayan Salt Décor and Himalayan Salt Spa Equipment, Posted By STA Admin on 09/27/2018
- The Science Between Salt Therapy and COVID-19, Webinar, Monday, May 11, 2020, https://www.salttherapyassociation.org/programs-webinars
- Global Wellness Initiative’s Halotherapy Initiative Fireside Chat Series Episode #1 on Asthma, Sept. 16, 2020, https://youtu.be/DmNG9vVMm8w
- Various research articles: https://halotherapysolutions.com/research/
- Halotherapy for Treatment of Respiratory Diseases by ALINA V. CHERVINSKAYA and NORA A. ZILBER, Published Online:4 Feb 2009, Journal of Aerosol MedicineVol. 8, No. 3, https://doi.org/10.1089/jam.1995.8.221